Sign in

username:

password:

Not a member? REGISTER here!

Search tips

Home Repair Forum | Septic tank question

There are 33 messages in this thread.

Septic tank question - John D99 - 2009-06-19 10:45:00

I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down about
10 - 12  inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance holes, whcih are
about 20 inches in diameter.

My question:  is there any problem in not re-filling the holes so I can have
easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if it needs a
pump-out?

Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the thing with
dirt?

Re: Septic tank question - Eric in North TX - 2009-06-19 10:54:00

On Jun 19, 9:45=A0am, "John D99"  wrote:
> I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down about
> 10 - 12 =A0inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance holes, whcih=
 are
> about 20 inches in diameter.
>
> My question: =A0is there any problem in not re-filling the holes so I can=
 have
> easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if it needs a
> pump-out?
>
> Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the thing w=
ith
> dirt?

I would just fill it with sand, that way you could easily dig it out
if you need access, without the potential for odor and liability.
Liability might take the form of a curious child (we lost one locally
to an uncovered septic tank), or someone falling due to the hole in
the yard.

Re: Septic tank question - 2009-06-19 11:07:00

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:45:24 -0600, "John D99" <J...@quantum.com>
wrote:

>I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down about
>10 - 12  inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance holes, whcih are
>about 20 inches in diameter.
>
>My question:  is there any problem in not re-filling the holes so I can have
>easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if it needs a
>pump-out?
>
>Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the thing with
>dirt?

My septic guy says one problem with that is rain water will flood the
tank putting pressure on the leach field. He also suggests using
regular spray foam insulation on the edges of the hole before you drop
the lid in. That will break loose easier than the bond you get with
dirt in the gap..

Re: Septic tank question - EXT - 2009-06-19 11:14:00

Eric in North TX <t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 9:45 am, "John D99"  wrote:
> > I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down
> > about 10 - 12 inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance
> > holes, whcih are about 20 inches in diameter.
> >
> > My question: is there any problem in not re-filling the holes so I
> > can have easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if
> > it needs a pump-out?
> >
> > Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the
> > thing with dirt?
>
> I would just fill it with sand, that way you could easily dig it out
> if you need access, without the potential for odor and liability.
> Liability might take the form of a curious child (we lost one locally
> to an uncovered septic tank), or someone falling due to the hole in
> the yard.

Brick around the tank lids up to just under the soil level. Keep the
original lids in place and add a precast sidewalk slab as a new lid over the
bricked up opening. Cover with some loose soil untill you need access again.

Re: Septic tank question - bob haller - 2009-06-19 15:09:00

On Jun 19, 11:14=EF=BF=BDam, "EXT"  wrote:
> Eric in North TX  wrote:
>

> > On Jun 19, 9:45 am, "John D99"  wrote:
> > > I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down
> > > about 10 - 12 inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance
> > > holes, whcih are about 20 inches in diameter.
>
> > > My question: is there any problem in not re-filling the holes so I
> > > can have easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if
> > > it needs a pump-out?
>
> > > Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the
> > > thing with dirt?
>
> > I would just fill it with sand, that way you could easily dig it out
> > if you need access, without the potential for odor and liability.
> > Liability might take the form of a curious child (we lost one locally
> > to an uncovered septic tank), or someone falling due to the hole in
> > the yard.
>
> Brick around the tank lids up to just under the soil level. Keep the
> original lids in place and add a precast sidewalk slab as a new lid over =
the
> bricked up opening. Cover with some loose soil untill you need access aga=
in.- Hide quoted text -

there are height extensions for this need

Re: Septic tank question - John D99 - 2009-06-19 15:26:00

<g...@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:45:24 -0600, "John D99" <J...@quantum.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down about
>>10 - 12  inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance holes, whcih
>>are
>>about 20 inches in diameter.
>>
>>My question:  is there any problem in not re-filling the holes so I can
>>have
>>easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if it needs a
>>pump-out?
>>
>>Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the thing
>>with
>>dirt?
>>

> My septic guy says one problem with that is rain water will flood the
> tank putting pressure on the leach field. He also suggests using
> regular spray foam insulation on the edges of the hole before you drop
> the lid in. That will break loose easier than the bond you get with
> dirt in the gap..

Yeah, Iwas thinking of callking around the lids - that foam is a better
idea.
Even if backfilled with dirt, the concrete lids are uneven and are bound to
allow water to seep in during rains when the soil gets saturated.

This thing has turned into a real pita. I have a fence panel lying over the
holes now, for appearance and safety, but it's not going to stop rain
infiltration.

Re: Septic tank question - Hustlin' Hank - 2009-06-19 15:36:00

On Jun 19, 10:45=EF=BF=BDam, "John D99"  wrote:
> I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down about
> 10 - 12 =EF=BF=BDinchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance holes,=
 whcih are
> about 20 inches in diameter.
>
> My question: =EF=BF=BDis there any problem in not re-filling the holes so=
 I can have
> easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if it needs a
> pump-out?
>
> Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the thing w=
ith
> dirt?

Keep the lids in place and buy extenders to sit around them that
extend past ground level. The extenders have lids on them that may
have to be purchased separately. The lids underground (the ones you
already have) will remain in place and the other lids will cover the
extender holes.

Water wil not flood your leach field. If that was the case, your leach
field would get flodded every time it rains, from ground water.

You may get an occasional smell whent he wind blows right, but not
enough to cause you to go inside.

Call you local Pre-cast supplier and they will help you out.

Hank

Re: Septic tank question - Frank - 2009-06-19 15:42:00

John D99 wrote:
> I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down about
> 10 - 12  inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance holes, whcih are
> about 20 inches in diameter.
>
> My question:  is there any problem in not re-filling the holes so I can have
> easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if it needs a
> pump-out?
>
> Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the thing with
> dirt?

Septic guy put a concrete ring and cap on mine after finding tank.  That
way there is no problem with access.  When we first moved into new house
septic came up and we needed a new drain field installed.  A switcher
box was put in where I can switch drain fields when needed but it was
buried.  I dug it up myself when needed and went to local concrete
company and bought ring and cap.  Sometimes there is a slight odor but
it is in back yard and you have to be near to smell it.  There is no
secondary cap over the box such as you would have with your tank so I
doubt there would be any odor.  I have none from mine at the tank.

Re: Septic tank question - Rudy - 2009-06-19 16:11:00

>>Keep the lids in place and buy extenders to sit around them that
extend past ground level. The extenders have lids on them that may
have to be purchased separately. The lids underground (the ones you
already have) will remain in place  <<

The 12" extensions sit flush in/on  the existing tank opening and the normal
"cap" fits them fine..no need for two "lids".
I used two for my tank. They told me there were 8" (and 24's) extensions
also available.
If you just want to go with what's there already, cover the "naked" caps
with a piece of sheet plastic and throw some wood chips/mulch over top for
decor purposes.  I incorporated this method into a rock mulch covered
landscape feature, effectively 'hiding' the caps.

Re: Septic tank question - Stormin Mormon - 2009-06-19 16:32:00

Seems like the holes ought to have a hatch, or cover plate?

Some kind of board over the top of the hole in the ground?
Maybe a big tractor tire, with a flower planter, or
something like that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus