Sign in

username:

password:

Not a member? REGISTER here!

Search tips

Home Repair Forum | Garage door jerks when opening

There are 11 messages in this thread.

Garage door jerks when opening - dchou4u@hotmail.com - 2009-07-02 13:13:00

Hi, I have a 10 year old garage door opener. When the garage door
opens, sometimes it jerks the door at the start, but the door opens
fine.
There are also few times when we close the door, the door will bounce
off the floor and reopens by itself.

Does it sound like a bad tension in the spring, or something else?

Thanks

Re: Garage door jerks when opening - professorpaul - 2009-07-02 13:26:00

A couple of things come to mind...

1. Check is all bolts, hinges, tracks, etc., are tightened up. These
do work loose.

2. Check that track and chain or drive system is properly lubricated.
Any light grease will do. Something that won't drip or run is better.
A "white" non-migrating lubricant.

3. Check opening/closing forces.. There are adjustments on the motor.
Likewise for overtravel.

I do a check for those items once a year on my garage door lift,
FWIIW.

If the two items above don't do the trick, then you might want to call
in a garage door outfit. I have replaced springs, but that can be more
than a little bit tricky.

Re: Garage door jerks when opening - LouB - 2009-07-02 14:11:00

professorpaul wrote:
> A couple of things come to mind...
>
> 1. Check is all bolts, hinges, tracks, etc., are tightened up. These
> do work loose.
>
> 2. Check that track and chain or drive system is properly lubricated.
> Any light grease will do. Something that won't drip or run is better.
> A "white" non-migrating lubricant.
>
> 3. Check opening/closing forces.. There are adjustments on the motor.
> Likewise for overtravel.
>
> I do a check for those items once a year on my garage door lift,
> FWIIW.
>
> If the two items above don't do the trick, then you might want to call
> in a garage door outfit. I have replaced springs, but that can be more
> than a little bit tricky.

And dangerous!

Lou

Re: Garage door jerks when opening - Winston - 2009-07-02 14:34:00

d...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I have a 10 year old garage door opener. When the garage door
> opens, sometimes it jerks the door at the start, but the door opens
> fine.
> There are also few times when we close the door, the door will bounce
> off the floor and reopens by itself.
>
> Does it sound like a bad tension in the spring, or something else?
>
> Thanks

Both symptoms are common to the same cause.

Check your opener's limit switch, would be my advise.
Sounds like settling has caused the door to close 'earlier'
than it had when the opener was first installed.

You need to move the limit switch back a taste so that the
door closes securely yet does not 'load up'.

--Winston

Re: Garage door jerks when opening - Dennis - 2009-07-02 17:50:00

You mean that when the door is closing, it went further than it should
and hit the floor too hard and thus causing it to reopen?

How about the jerking when it opens?

Thanks

Re: Garage door jerks when opening - Paul Oman - 2009-07-02 19:13:00

d...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I have a 10 year old garage door opener. When the garage door
> opens, sometimes it jerks the door at the start, but the door opens
> fine.
> There are also few times when we close the door, the door will bounce
> off the floor and reopens by itself.
>
> Does it sound like a bad tension in the spring, or something else?
>
> Thanks

In my case it was the cable that raises/lowers the door. Cable was not
rolling up nicely on the drum so when cable wrapped/unwrapped it jerked
the door around.

paul

Re: Garage door jerks when opening - HeyBub - 2009-07-02 20:22:00

d...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I have a 10 year old garage door opener. When the garage door
> opens, sometimes it jerks the door at the start, but the door opens
> fine.
> There are also few times when we close the door, the door will bounce
> off the floor and reopens by itself.
>
> Does it sound like a bad tension in the spring, or something else?
>
> Thanks

Slack in the chain? Skipping sprockets?

Re: Garage door jerks when opening - 2009-07-02 22:32:00

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 10:13:52 -0700 (PDT), "d...@hotmail.com"
<d...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, I have a 10 year old garage door opener. When the garage door
>opens, sometimes it jerks the door at the start, but the door opens
>fine.
>There are also few times when we close the door, the door will bounce
>off the floor and reopens by itself.
>
>Does it sound like a bad tension in the spring, or something else?
>
>Thanks

The cause in my case was that the rubber on the bottom of the door was
sticking to a relatively new concrete stain which was applied to the
floor.
I applied a strip of duct tape to the floor in the area where the
rubber was sticking, and the problem disappeared. I was told to apply
some paste wax to the rubber, but I never got around to it.
hth

Re: Garage door jerks when opening - Hipupchuck - 2009-07-03 08:43:00

d...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I have a 10 year old garage door opener. When the garage door
> opens, sometimes it jerks the door at the start, but the door opens
> fine.
> There are also few times when we close the door, the door will bounce
> off the floor and reopens by itself.
>
> Does it sound like a bad tension in the spring, or something else?
>
> Thanks

The chain is connected together with a spring for safety. The door
appears to be sticking, then releasing stretching the spring as it
should. Check the track and around the door. Operate it by hand to help
find out where it is sticking.

Re: Garage door jerks when opening - Winston - 2009-07-03 14:32:00

Dennis wrote:
> You mean that when the door is closing, it went further than it should
> and hit the floor too hard and thus causing it to reopen?

Yes.  The 'down limit switch' is telling the opener that
the door had not closed. So the opener has only one choice;
that is to treat the garage floor as an obstruction,
triggering the re-opening.
Your 'down limit switch' is adjusted on the 'edge' of
working properly.
Sometimes it forces the door on to the garage floor,
sometimes it sees the floor as an obstruction and re-opens.

Does this sound familiar?

Buildings move as they settle. Doors jam. Windows stick.
Same thing here.  You can't jack the settled side of the
door jam back up, so you readjust the opener.

> How about the jerking when it opens?
Both of these symptoms are consistent with the same cause.
(I don't know if I mentioned that.)

Watch the opener carefully as it closes the door.
You will see it bend a little as it stores the energy it took
to force the door on to the garage floor.  When you open the
door, some of that energy returns in the form of a rebound.

That is the jerk you see.

Here is an Experiment:
http://www.genieremotesonline.com/images/Limit_Switch_001.jpg
Mark the position of the 'down limit switch' (with a magic
marker) on the track.  (Then photograph it with your
digital camera.)
Loosen the 'down limit switch' and slide it back, toward the
opener motor a couple inches. Tighten it in this new position.
You should see daylight under the garage door after it closes,
but the jerk will disappear.  You will find a place on the
arm of the opener for the 'down limit switch' that will
allow the door to close securely yet not rebound as it does
now. Just move the switch to that position and tighten it
in place.

You have nothing to lose here. If the experiment doesn't work
in this manner, you can slide the limit switch back to it's
previous position and you are back where you were.

--Winston