Sign in

username:

password:



Not a member? REGISTER here!

Search Archives



Search tips

Ads

Home Repair Forum | Help to mount light on metal pole barn

There are 15 messages in this thread.

You are currently looking at messages 0 to 10.

Help to mount light on metal pole barn - stryped - 2009-09-28 08:59:00

I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights centered
above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put a plastic
box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However, being centered
it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks like I made
a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on how to
properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak?

Re: Help to mount light on metal pole barn - Stormin Mormon - 2009-09-28 09:13:00

Sheet metal screws. Putty, or caulk. Probably a whole tube 
or two of silicone. Do the bottom of the box also, so you 
don't get wasps nesting inside the box.

-- 
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  www.lds.org
.


"stryped" <s...@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:9...@r36g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights 
centered
above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put 
a plastic
box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However, 
being centered
it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks 
like I made
a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on 
how to
properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak? 



Re: Help to mount light on metal pole barn - stryped - 2009-09-28 09:21:00

On Sep 28, 8:13=A0am, "Stormin Mormon"
 wrote:
> Sheet metal screws. Putty, or caulk. Probably a whole tube
> or two of silicone. Do the bottom of the box also, so you
> don't get wasps nesting inside the box.
>
> --
> Christopher A. Young
> Learn more about Jesus
> =A0www.lds.org
> .
>
> "stryped"  wrote in message
>
> news:9...@r36g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
> I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights
> centered
> above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put
> a plastic
> box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However,
> being centered
> it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks
> like I made
> a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on
> how to
> properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak?

That is just it. I dont have the box mounted. I am trying to figure
out what the best thing to do is. What do people normally put as a box
when they have to put it over a raised rib?

Re: Help to mount light on metal pole barn - Stormin Mormon - 2009-09-28 09:58:00

The usual box. Some folks use Permagum to fill the air gaps.

-- 
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  www.lds.org
.


"stryped" <s...@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:1...@d23g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...

That is just it. I dont have the box mounted. I am trying to 
figure
out what the best thing to do is. What do people normally 
put as a box
when they have to put it over a raised rib? 



Re: Help to mount light on metal pole barn - SteveB - 2009-09-28 10:27:00

"stryped" <s...@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:9...@r36g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights centered
> above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put a plastic
> box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However, being centered
> it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks like I made
> a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on how to
> properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak?

They make self tapping self sealing screws that work great and are made to 
fasten on the outside of steel buildings.

Steve


-- 
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of 
patriots and tyrants.  - Thomas Jefferson -

So, how's that change and hope working for you? 



Re: Help to mount light on metal pole barn - dpb - 2009-09-28 10:28:00

stryped wrote:
> I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights centered
> above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put a plastic
> box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However, being centered
> it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks like I made
> a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on how to
> properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak?

Generally, one uses an exterior metal box and only bores a hole the 
miminum size needed to run the conduit through the siding on the flat so 
you don't have any large holes to seal up.

If you've already made a cut, I'd suggest patching it back best as can 
and sealing it and then covering it w/ the exterior box as noted above.

You can either make a filler for the valley on either side if need it to 
stabilize the box or many of the siding manufacturers have specialty 
parts to fit their specific patterns for the purpose.

If you select the proper outdoor box it will have seals and you won't 
have the problems other poster talks about.

--

Re: Help to mount light on metal pole barn - stryped - 2009-09-28 10:48:00

On Sep 28, 9:28=A0am, dpb  wrote:
> stryped wrote:
> > I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights centered
> > above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put a plastic
> > box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However, being centered
> > it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks like I made
> > a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on how to
> > properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak?
>
> Generally, one uses an exterior metal box and only bores a hole the
> miminum size needed to run the conduit through the siding on the flat so
> you don't have any large holes to seal up.
>
> If you've already made a cut, I'd suggest patching it back best as can
> and sealing it and then covering it w/ the exterior box as noted above.
>
> You can either make a filler for the valley on either side if need it to
> stabilize the box or many of the siding manufacturers have specialty
> parts to fit their specific patterns for the purpose.
>
> If you select the proper outdoor box it will have seals and you won't
> have the problems other poster talks about.
>
> --

Would a j box for vinyle siding work?

Re: Help to mount light on metal pole barn - dpb - 2009-09-28 10:54:00

stryped wrote:
> On Sep 28, 9:28 am, dpb  wrote:
...
>> If you select the proper outdoor box it will have seals and you won't
>> have the problems other poster talks about.
...

> Would a j box for vinyle siding work?

I suppose you could make it work; don't think it would fit against your 
metal siding all that well would it?

I'd use something otoo one of those on this page; specifics would depend 
on what the fixture looked like as well as the siding.

As noted, I'd plan on ending up w/ only the one penetration for a short 
conduit if there's structure/insulation/whatever behind to get to the 
interior cleanly or even just a flanged coupler if only the tin (and 
it's heavy-enough gauge to mount to w/o additional support--that depends 
on the material and what you're mounting).

<http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-50-weatherproof-boxes.aspx?page=2>

--

Re: Help to mount light on metal pole barn - Eric in North TX - 2009-09-28 11:09:00

On Sep 28, 7:59=A0am, stryped  wrote:
> I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights centered
> above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put a plastic
> box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However, being centered
> it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks like I made
> a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on how to
> properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak?

I'd use a thin octagon / round  box on the outside, that way only 2
small screw holes needed + the one for the wire, and it would at least
look as good as what you are proposing.

Re: Help to mount light on metal pole barn - JIMMIE - 2009-09-28 11:11:00

On Sep 28, 8:59=A0am, stryped  wrote:
> I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights centered
> above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put a plastic
> box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However, being centered
> it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks like I made
> a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on how to
> properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak?

It would be a piece of cake if you were mounting it on something
flat , wouldn't it.
Did this at work a couple of years ago on a metal building. . Mounted
the electrical box on a heavy gauge piece of aluminum a couple of
inches larger than the hole then pop riveted it to the building. This
didn't start out as the plan. I cut the hole and then realized I had
screwed up and couldn't get the box to fit in the corrugations so I
covered the hole temporarily with a scrap piece of metal until I could
back up and rethink what I was doing. After I got my patch up I
realized that was the fix. I didnt have anything to fill the large
cavities created by the corrugations, someone else did that and I am
not sure of what he use. Looked like some kind of rubbery caulk, I
don't think it was silicone.

Jimmie

| 1 | 2 | next