Sign in

username:

password:

Not a member? REGISTER here!

Search tips

Home Repair Forum | PEX pipe causes cancer

There are 8 messages in this thread.

PEX pipe causes cancer - 2010-04-02 00:00:00

It's just been announced by the Department of Health that the
chemicals used in the manufacture of PEX pipe cause cancer when these
pipes are used for drinking water.  The chemicals leech into the water
and accumulate in the body.  This is particularly evident for hot
water, since the heat extrudes the carcinogen more than cold water.

PEX pipe will likely be banned nationwide by the end of 2010.  They
warn that if you have PEX pipe in your home, DO NOT drink the water,
or use the water for cooking.  Boiling the water only concentrates the
harmful chemicals, so boiling will not make the water safe.  Worse yet
are those homes who have chlorinated water.  The chlorine in the water
is causing these harmful chemicals to leech into the water as much as
five times the concentrations above that of standard water.

The best solution is to remove all PEX pipes from your homes and
businesses and replace them with copper, steel, or other conventional
plumbing.  If you do replace the PEX pipes, be sure to drain and
thoroughly flush your hot water heater, since heavy concentrations of
the harmful chemicals will remain in the tank.

Peter Sherman

Re: PEX pipe causes cancer - Oren - 2010-04-02 00:07:00

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 22:58:20 -0600, P...@usenet.com wrote:

>It's just been announced by the Department of Health that the
>chemicals used in the manufacture of PEX pipe cause cancer when these
>pipes are used for drinking water.  The chemicals leech into the water
>and accumulate in the body.  This is particularly evident for hot
>water, since the heat extrudes the carcinogen more than cold water.
>
>PEX pipe will likely be banned nationwide by the end of 2010.  They
>warn that if you have PEX pipe in your home, DO NOT drink the water,
>or use the water for cooking.  Boiling the water only concentrates the
>harmful chemicals, so boiling will not make the water safe.  Worse yet
>are those homes who have chlorinated water.  The chlorine in the water
>is causing these harmful chemicals to leech into the water as much as
>five times the concentrations above that of standard water.
>
>The best solution is to remove all PEX pipes from your homes and
>businesses and replace them with copper, steel, or other conventional
>plumbing.  If you do replace the PEX pipes, be sure to drain and
>thoroughly flush your hot water heater, since heavy concentrations of
>the harmful chemicals will remain in the tank.
>
>Peter Sherman

Bullshit!!

Re: PEX pipe causes cancer - Tony Hwang - 2010-04-02 00:28:00

Oren wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 22:58:20 -0600, P...@usenet.com wrote:
>
>> It's just been announced by the Department of Health that the
>> chemicals used in the manufacture of PEX pipe cause cancer when these
>> pipes are used for drinking water.  The chemicals leech into the water
>> and accumulate in the body.  This is particularly evident for hot
>> water, since the heat extrudes the carcinogen more than cold water.
>>
>> PEX pipe will likely be banned nationwide by the end of 2010.  They
>> warn that if you have PEX pipe in your home, DO NOT drink the water,
>> or use the water for cooking.  Boiling the water only concentrates the
>> harmful chemicals, so boiling will not make the water safe.  Worse yet
>> are those homes who have chlorinated water.  The chlorine in the water
>> is causing these harmful chemicals to leech into the water as much as
>> five times the concentrations above that of standard water.
>>
>> The best solution is to remove all PEX pipes from your homes and
>> businesses and replace them with copper, steel, or other conventional
>> plumbing.  If you do replace the PEX pipes, be sure to drain and
>> thoroughly flush your hot water heater, since heavy concentrations of
>> the harmful chemicals will remain in the tank.
>>
>> Peter Sherman
>>

> Bullshit!!
Hmmm,
April fools!

Re: PEX pipe causes cancer - Ed Pawlowski - 2010-04-02 05:51:00

"Tony Hwang" <d...@shaw.ca> wrote
:
>> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 22:58:20 -0600, P...@usenet.com wrote:
>>

>>> PEX pipe will likely be banned nationwide by the end of 2010.
>>>
>>> Peter Sherman
>>>

>> Bullshit!!
> Hmmm,
> April fools!

Could be, but that sort of joke could end with you in court for libel.

Re: PEX pipe causes cancer - Stormin Mormon - 2010-04-02 08:48:00

I'd sure like to see a link to this, on the web. Dept of
health in which jurisdiction?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

<P...@usenet.com> wrote in message
[...]

Re: PEX pipe causes cancer - Joe - 2010-04-02 09:02:00

> It's just been announced by the Department of Health that the
> chemicals used in the manufacture of PEX pipe cause cancer when these
> pipes are used for drinking water.

But only in California....  so no worries...

Re: PEX pipe causes cancer - Steve Barker - 2010-04-04 09:52:00

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Bullshit!!
>> Hmmm,
>> April fools!
>
> Could be, but that sort of joke could end with you in court for libel.

Hardly.

Re: PEX pipe causes cancer - Ed Pawlowski - 2010-04-04 11:07:00

"Steve Barker" <i...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Hmmm,
>>> April fools!
>>
>> Could be, but that sort of joke could end with you in court for libel.
>
> Hardly.

The good/bad part of our justice system is that you can sue anyone for
anything.  If a PEX manufacturer wanted to, they could drag your ass into
court and give you one hell of an inconvenience.