Sign in

username:

password:

Not a member? REGISTER here!

Search tips

Home Repair Forum | Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side

There are 21 messages in this thread.

Re: Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side - Jules Richardson - 2010-04-13 16:30:00

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:04:11 -0500, JimT wrote:

> <s...@dog.com> wrote in message

>>>Why?
>>>
>>>If a washer or dryer are so poorly designed/constructed they can't be
>>>transported on their side, they're junk.
>>>
>>>nb
>>
>> How about being towed upside down underwater? Should they be designed
>> to withstand that too?
>>

> If you can't shoot them out of a cannon what good are they?

Particularly if they can't reach orbit safely!

Re: Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side - DerbyDad03 - 2010-04-13 16:34:00

On Apr 13, 2:33=A0pm, notbob  wrote:
> On 2010-04-13, dpb  wrote:
>
> > If there's not an instruction for it, yeah, I have a tip--don't. =A0
>
> Why? =A0
>
> If a washer or dryer are so poorly designed/constructed they can't be
> transported on their side, they're junk.
>
> nb

I have a refridgerator with shelves and drawers that stay perfectly in
place as long as the unit is upright. Every time I lay it on its side,
they all fall off.

I guess it's junk.

Re: Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side - hr(bob) hofmann@att.net - 2010-04-13 23:37:00

On Apr 13, 3:34=A0pm, DerbyDad03  wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2:33=A0pm, notbob  wrote:
>
> > On 2010-04-13, dpb  wrote:
>
> > > If there's not an instruction for it, yeah, I have a tip--don't. =A0
>
> > Why? =A0
>
> > If a washer or dryer are so poorly designed/constructed they can't be
> > transported on their side, they're junk.
>
> > nb
>
> I have a refridgerator with shelves and drawers that stay perfectly in
> place as long as the unit is upright. Every time I lay it on its side,
> they all fall off.
>
> I guess it's junk.

Transport on the back rather than the side if there is a choice.  I
would call the mfgr hot line and see what they say.

Re: Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side - Roger Shoaf - 2010-04-14 02:47:00

"muzician21" <m...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
> sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
> that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
> their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.
>
> Any tips for transporting them like that?

The dryer should be OK but the washer might be a problem.  I inverted one
once to work on it and all the oil leaked out of the transmission.  The drum
inside is also mounted with springs and bouncing down the road with the drum
sideways might also cause some mischief.

Trailer or rent/borrow a truck or van.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Re: Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side - Slacker - 2010-04-14 09:55:00

muzician21 wrote:
> Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
> sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
> that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
> their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.
>
> Any tips for transporting them like that?

Buddy, pickup truck, six-pack and a pizza?

Failing that, if it's a local move, Home Depot rents a good sized truck
for $19 for and hour and a quarter.

Re: Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side - LouB - 2010-04-14 10:07:00

Slacker wrote:
> muzician21 wrote:
>> Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
>> sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
>> that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
>> their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.
>>
>> Any tips for transporting them like that?
>

> Buddy, pickup truck, six-pack and a pizza?
>
> Failing that, if it's a local move, Home Depot rents a good sized truck
> for $19 for and hour and a quarter.

Don't you need to buy something at HD to get that deal?

Re: Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side - GregS - 2010-04-14 15:21:00

In article 1...@news.albasani.net>, Slacker <e...@beach.biz> wrote:
>muzician21 wrote:
>> Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
>> sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
>> that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
>> their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.
>>
>> Any tips for transporting them like that?
>

>Buddy, pickup truck, six-pack and a pizza?
>
>Failing that, if it's a local move, Home Depot rents a good sized truck
>for $19 for and hour and a quarter.

That might be good. I rented a van at Uhaul for $20 a day and it
finally cost me $180 at the end of the day.

greg

Re: Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side - Slacker - 2010-04-14 18:58:00

LouB wrote:
> Slacker wrote:
>> muzician21 wrote:
>>> Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
>>> sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
>>> that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
>>> their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.
>>>
>>> Any tips for transporting them like that?
>>

>> Buddy, pickup truck, six-pack and a pizza?
>>
>> Failing that, if it's a local move, Home Depot rents a good sized
>> truck for $19 for and hour and a quarter.
>
> Don't you need to buy something at HD to get that deal?

Not around here.

But if they do in your neck of the woods, just buy something--- and
return it when you bring the truck back...

Re: Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side - harry - 2010-04-15 10:47:00

On Apr 14, 11:58=EF=BF=BDpm, Slacker  wrote:
> LouB wrote:
> > Slacker wrote:

> >> Buddy, pickup truck, six-pack and a pizza?
>
> >> Failing that, if it's a local move, Home Depot rents a good sized
> >> truck for $19 for and hour and a quarter.
>
> > Don't you need to buy something at HD to get that deal?
>
> Not around here.
>
> But if they do in your neck of the woods, just buy something--- and
> return it when you bring the truck back...- Hide quoted text -

Can't you just borrow a trailer from a nieghbour?

Re: Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side - DerbyDad03 - 2010-04-15 10:57:00

On Apr 14, 3:21=A0pm, z...@zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:
> In article , Slacker  wr=
ote:
> >muzician21 wrote:
> >> Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
> >> sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
> >> that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
> >> their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.
>
> >> Any tips for transporting them like that?
>
> >Buddy, pickup truck, six-pack and a pizza?
>
> >Failing that, if it's a local move, Home Depot rents a good sized truck
> >for $19 for and hour and a quarter.
>
> That might be good. I rented a van at Uhaul for $20 a day and it
> finally cost me $180 at the end of the day.
>
> greg

$180?

I rented an open landscaping-type trailer from U-haul for less than
$20 for the day. My son bought a riding mower at Sears (right next to
U-Haul!) and that was the cheapest way (other than driving it) to get
it home. That might work for the washer and dryer, as long as the OP
has pads and tie-downs available.

Of course, I already had a hitch and 2" receiver on my van, so it was
just "hook up and go."

Why did it cost you $180? Mileage?

previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | next