Sign in

username:

password:

Not a member? REGISTER here!

Search tips

Home Repair Forum | Wave "Dehumidifier" -- Has anyone here tried it?

There are 6 messages in this thread.

Wave "Dehumidifier" -- Has anyone here tried it? - Ivan - 2010-05-26 20:30:00

I live in an area with a high water table, and my basement gets quite
humid; it recently flooded when the sump pump failed.  The basement
area is about 1300 to 1500 sq ft, and is divided into rooms, though
only two of those rooms (one of which is a store room that also houses
the sump) have doors. There is also a small room housing the gas
furnace and hot-water heater. I used to have a small, inadequate
dehumidifier (built into the partition between the main room and sump
room) that ran all the time and did little good. One satisified owner
in a similar locale has recommended the Wave Home Solutions
ventilation unit, which should certainly use less power than a large
dehumidifier, but I'd like other opinions. Anyone here have experience
with it? Any suggestions on what to look for in a regular dehumidifier?

Re: Wave "Dehumidifier" -- Has anyone here tried it? - ransley - 2010-05-27 07:10:00

On May 26, 7:30=A0pm, Ivan  wrote:
> I live in an area with a high water table, and my basement gets quite
> humid; it recently flooded when the sump pump failed. =A0The basement
> area is about 1300 to 1500 sq ft, and is divided into rooms, though
> only two of those rooms (one of which is a store room that also houses
> the sump) have doors. There is also a small room housing the gas
> furnace and hot-water heater. I used to have a small, inadequate
> dehumidifier (built into the partition between the main room and sump
> room) that ran all the time and did little good. One satisified owner
> in a similar locale has recommended the Wave Home Solutions
> ventilation unit, which should certainly use less power than a large
> dehumidifier, but I'd like other opinions. Anyone here have experience
> with it? Any suggestions on what to look for in a regular dehumidifier?

All the Wave does is vent the basement, just put a fan in a basement
window and there is your expensive "wave". It wont do much, ive tried
my own homemade setup and it didnt help me. My Energy Star humidifier
uses about 4-5$ a month on a 600 sq ft basement and keeps my humididty
low, if its below around 68 in the basement when you plan on using it
get a low temp model, consumer reports has reviews online.

Re: Wave "Dehumidifier" -- Has anyone here tried it? - Hell Toupee - 2010-05-27 14:04:00

On 5/26/2010 7:30 PM, Ivan wrote:
> I live in an area with a high water table, and my basement gets quite
> humid; it recently flooded when the sump pump failed.  The basement
> area is about 1300 to 1500 sq ft, and is divided into rooms, though
> only two of those rooms (one of which is a store room that also houses
> the sump) have doors. There is also a small room housing the gas
> furnace and hot-water heater. I used to have a small, inadequate
> dehumidifier (built into the partition between the main room and sump
> room) that ran all the time and did little good.

I have a damp basement split into three rooms. I used to run two
dehumidifiers down there, then learned that setting up a fan on a
timer in one of the rooms allowed me to get just as good results with
only one dehumidifier. I have the fan run three times a day for two
hours each time. It uses a lot less electricity than a second
dehumidifier, and moves the air well enough that one dehumidifier can
work efficiently. It'd be a cheap thing for you to try out and see if
it works for you. Note: I use a box fan set on the floor, because the
dampest air is down by the floor, and I figure anything smaller than a
box fan wouldn't cut the mustard.

One satisified owner
> in a similar locale has recommended the Wave Home Solutions
> ventilation unit, which should certainly use less power than a large
> dehumidifier, but I'd like other opinions. Anyone here have experience
> with it? Any suggestions on what to look for in a regular dehumidifier?

I looked into the Humidex, which is essentially the same thing under a
different brand. It was expensive, so I ginned up a homemade version
using six-inch ductwork running up the wall from the floor and venting
out a basement window. I placed a six-inch fan on the floor right into
the duct, so it would draw the damp floor air up and out the window. I
turned off my usual dehumidifier/fan combo and gave this setup a
three-day test, allowing it to run constantly. I quit after three
days, because the increase in humidity in the basement was _very_
noticeable.

A couple things to note - a basement dehumidifier gets a big boost
when central a/c is running - but I'm in a climate where I run central
air only occasionally, so my basement dehumidifier usually doesn't get
that assist and does fine anyway. I did not have the central air on
when my DIY device was running, and frankly, just exhausting the
basement air (which is all it does) wasn't sufficient to keep down the
humidity. This concept probably works a lot better when central a/c is
running, because the central a/c ends up doing the dehumidifying. So
if you run a/c most of the summer, it might work out better for you. I
expect the commercial version probably works a bit more efficiently
than my DIY version, but given the results of my DIY version, I ended
up disconnecting it and going back to my usual dehumidifier/fan combo.

Frankly, I was disappointed.  I'd hoped I'd be able to get away from
running the dehumidifier altogether. Nope.

Re: Wave "Dehumidifier" -- Has anyone here tried it? - David Combs - 2010-06-24 21:01:00

In article <8...@40g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
ransley  <M...@Yahoo.com> wrote:
>On May 26, 7:30 pm, Ivan  wrote:
>> I live in an area with a high water table, and my basement gets quite
>> humid; it recently flooded when the sump pump failed.  The basement
>> area is about 1300 to 1500 sq ft, and is divided into rooms, though
>> only two of those rooms (one of which is a store room that also houses
>> the sump) have doors. There is also a small room housing the gas
>> furnace and hot-water heater. I used to have a small, inadequate
>> dehumidifier (built into the partition between the main room and sump
>> room) that ran all the time and did little good. One satisified owner
>> in a similar locale has recommended the Wave Home Solutions
>> ventilation unit, which should certainly use less power than a large
>> dehumidifier, but I'd like other opinions. Anyone here have experience
>> with it? Any suggestions on what to look for in a regular dehumidifier?
>
>All the Wave does is vent the basement, just put a fan in a basement
>window and there is your expensive "wave". It wont do much, ive tried
>my own homemade setup and it didnt help me. My Energy Star humidifier
>uses about 4-5$ a month on a 600 sq ft basement and keeps my humididty
>low, if its below around 68 in the basement when you plan on using it
>get a low temp model, consumer reports has reviews online.

What's different about a "low temp" model?  (Never heard the term
until saw your post)

David

Re: Wave - Jim - 2010-07-24 22:04:00

>I live in an area with a high water table, and my basement gets quite
>humid; it recently flooded when the sump pump failed.  The basement
>area is about 1300 to 1500 sq ft, and is divided into rooms, though
>only two of those rooms (one of which is a store room that also houses
>the sump) have doors. There is also a small room housing the gas
>furnace and hot-water heater. I used to have a small, inadequate
>dehumidifier (built into the partition between the main room and sump
>room) that ran all the time and did little good. One satisified owner
>in a similar locale has recommended the Wave Home Solutions
>ventilation unit, which should certainly use less power than a large
>dehumidifier, but I'd like other opinions. Anyone here have experience
>with it? Any suggestions on what to look for in a regular dehumidifier?

In June I had a Wave system installed in my ranch home for $1500.  I am not
handy so I didn't dare try to build the system detailed in this forum.

In installer thought our basement door was too nice to cut in a vent so we
just leave it open.  The late June and July weather was like august.  High
heat and humidity.  The central air ran continuously.

My concern was the cost of electricity for this system and using the air
conditioned air.  Well, I just received my electric bill and it was about
the same as last August where the AC was always on.

AND, my basement is dry and there is no mildew smell.  Up until now I used
a dehumidifier but it never dried out the basement and there was always a
damp like smell.  Also it cost about $35-45 a month to run.

So, the bottom line is that the Wave works.  I know it was costly, but it
works much better than a dehumidifier and uses much, much less
electricity.

_________________________
Message  sent through http://www.BetterHomePortal.com

Re: Wave - Jim - 2010-08-23 16:53:00

>In June I had a Wave system installed in my ranch home for $1500.  I am
not
>handy so I didn't dare try to build the system detailed in this forum.
>
>In installer thought our basement door was too nice to cut in a vent so
we
>just leave it open.  The late June and July weather was like august.
High
>heat and humidity.  The central air ran continuously.
>
>My concern was the cost of electricity for this system and using the air
>conditioned air.  Well, I just received my electric bill and it was about
>the same as last August where the AC was always on.
>
>AND, my basement is dry and there is no mildew smell.  Up until now I
used
>a dehumidifier but it never dried out the basement and there was always a
>damp like smell.  Also it cost about $35-45 a month to run.
>
>So, the bottom line is that the Wave works.  I know it was costly, but it
>works much better than a dehumidifier and uses much, much less
>electricity.

My Wave System continues to do the job but I wanted to add something.

When it was first installed I noticed that it constantly cycled with the
fan turing on and off every few seconds.

I c contacted a service rep who was very helpful and assured me the unit
was operating properly and was getting itself adjusted.

A week or so ago he called me back and explained that because they had
received many calls similar to mine, they looked into the matter and
developed some better software to control the unit.  He told me they were
sending me a new control panel unit, at no cost.  I believe the man's name
is Ron and he was very friendly and helpful.  He was wonderful to deal
with.

The next day I received the unit.  All I had to do was remove four screws,
unplug the circuit board and install the new one.  A five minute task.  I
then returned the old one in a Fedex mailer they provided.

The unit no longer goes through the constant cycling.  It gets the
atmosphere to me desired setting (55%) and maintains it.  When it drops
below my setting, it runs at a very low speed.

Now that is what I call great customer service.  I just wanted to share
this info because it is nice dealing with a company like this.

Message  sent through http://www.BetterHomePortal.com