Sign in

username:

password:

Not a member? REGISTER here!

Search tips

Home Repair Forum | Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt??

There are 9 messages in this thread.

Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt?? - Steven L. - 2010-06-10 15:31:00

Hi all,
I've got a Sears Kenmore room air conditioner unit in a thru-the-wall
sleeve in my living room.

When it's running, it keeps spitting out little pieces of
black--something--perhaps dirt, that are really dirtying up my nice
carpet.  Not all the time, but maybe a half dozen chunks each day.

I cleaned the A/C filter, but that's not stopping the problem.

Where is that black stuff coming from, and how can I stop it?

-- Steven L.

Re: Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt?? - HeyBub - 2010-06-10 16:07:00

Steven L. wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've got a Sears Kenmore room air conditioner unit in a thru-the-wall
> sleeve in my living room.
>
> When it's running, it keeps spitting out little pieces of
> black--something--perhaps dirt, that are really dirtying up my nice
> carpet.  Not all the time, but maybe a half dozen chunks each day.
>
> I cleaned the A/C filter, but that's not stopping the problem.
>
> Where is that black stuff coming from, and how can I stop it?

Disintegrating insulation? Gasket?

Re: Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt?? - 2010-06-10 16:52:00

I used to work in a building where the central air spewed black soot.  We
made them tape filters on top of the vents.  They practically tore apart he
building for ten years trying to figure out what it was. After I was long
gone, they figured it out. Turned out the grabage trucks used to pull up
right by the intake and spewed exhausts into the building HVAC. THis was a
building chock full of world class engineers!

				    - = -
   http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm  http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Re: Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt?? - Ron - 2010-06-10 18:27:00

On Jun 10, 3:31=A0pm, "Steven L."  wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've got a Sears Kenmore room air conditioner unit in a thru-the-wall
> sleeve in my living room.
>
> When it's running, it keeps spitting out little pieces of
> black--something--perhaps dirt, that are really dirtying up my nice
> carpet. =A0Not all the time, but maybe a half dozen chunks each day.
>
> I cleaned the A/C filter, but that's not stopping the problem.
>
> Where is that black stuff coming from, and how can I stop it?
>
> -- Steven L.

Probably a dried out foam gasket. I have an older car that is doing
the same thing. Brown sticky  pieces of foam come out of the vents
sometimes.

Re: Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt?? - NGDirect - 2010-06-10 21:29:00

"Steven L." <s...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I've got a Sears Kenmore room air conditioner unit in a thru-the-wall
> sleeve in my living room.
>
> When it's running, it keeps spitting out little pieces of
> black--something--perhaps dirt, that are really dirtying up my nice
> carpet.  Not all the time, but maybe a half dozen chunks each day.
>
> I cleaned the A/C filter, but that's not stopping the problem.
>
> Where is that black stuff coming from, and how can I stop it?
>

> -- Steven L.

My old unit had a sponge rubber filter right under the front vents that
dried out and began to crumble after a few years.  It was pretty worthless
to start with.  While it did catch some dust, it was hardly enough to keep
the cooling fins from getting pretty gunked up so I tossed it.

Re: Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt?? - Ed Pawlowski - 2010-06-10 23:22:00

> Hi all,
> I've got a Sears Kenmore room air conditioner unit in a thru-the-wall
> sleeve in my living room.
>
> When it's running, it keeps spitting out little pieces of
> black--something--perhaps dirt, that are really dirtying up my nice
> carpet.  Not all the time, but maybe a half dozen chunks each day.
>
> I cleaned the A/C filter, but that's not stopping the problem.
>
> Where is that black stuff coming from, and how can I stop it?

What does the black stuff look and feel like?  Could be pieces of the foam
filter, but can also be wads of mold that built up in there over the winter.

Re: Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt?? - Ron - 2010-06-11 01:11:00

On Jun 10, 11:22=A0pm, "Ed Pawlowski"  wrote:
> "Steven L."  wrote in message

> > Hi all,
> > I've got a Sears Kenmore room air conditioner unit in a thru-the-wall
> > sleeve in my living room.
>
> > When it's running, it keeps spitting out little pieces of
> > black--something--perhaps dirt, that are really dirtying up my nice
> > carpet. =A0Not all the time, but maybe a half dozen chunks each day.
>
> > I cleaned the A/C filter, but that's not stopping the problem.
>
> > Where is that black stuff coming from, and how can I stop it?
>
> What does the black stuff look and feel like? =A0Could be pieces of the f=
oam
> filter, but can also be wads of mold that built up in there over the wint=
er.

He never said he had a foam filter.

Re: Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt?? - harry - 2010-06-11 02:36:00

On Jun 10, 8:31=EF=BF=BDpm, "Steven L."  wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've got a Sears Kenmore room air conditioner unit in a thru-the-wall
> sleeve in my living room.
>
> When it's running, it keeps spitting out little pieces of
> black--something--perhaps dirt, that are really dirtying up my nice
> carpet. =EF=BF=BDNot all the time, but maybe a half dozen chunks each day=
.

> I cleaned the A/C filter, but that's not stopping the problem.
>
> Where is that black stuff coming from, and how can I stop it?
>
> -- Steven L.

This is probably fungus/mould growing on the wet evaporator.  It will
need to be cleaned and sterilised with a suitable chemical.  Not an
easy job.

Re: Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt?? - Ed Pawlowski - 2010-06-11 05:59:00

"Ron" <b...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> > I cleaned the A/C filter, but that's not stopping the problem.
>>
>> > Where is that black stuff coming from, and how can I stop it?
>>
>> What does the black stuff look and feel like?  Could be pieces of the
>> foam
>> filter, but can also be wads of mold that built up in there over the
>> winter.

> He never said he had a foam filter.

So what?  It may or may not have one.  Maybe it did and it was replaced.  It
is still a possibility and I'm sure he is capable of looking as to the type
of filter he does have.